Friday, April 14, 2006

We survived!!!

We survived our 9-hour drive to Kapuskasing, a.k.a. Kap(this always makes me laugh)! Kapuswhat you ask? Its where Rob was born and where my in-laws still live. Its a small town faaaaar away in the Northern Ontario bush. We hadn't been in 3 years so we were due for a visit. The drive is pure hell but well worth it because I really like my in-laws - no, I'm not just saying that. They are really awesome!

It all started this morning at 7:30am (a little later than we had planned, but whatever...) when I dragged my ass out of bed and went into the shower. We finished packing our stuff and were "on the road again" as Wayne Rodstad would sing, at 8:30am. As some of you might already know, Rob and I are VERY gay organized and we like our "little routines". Every time we go to Kap (tee hee!) our first stop is Tim's. Second stop, McDonald's for some incredibly delicious McGriddles. Did ya' all know that they contain more fat than a Big Mac? Crazy shit!

With our tummies full, we were off! Only 9 hours to go...

Hour One:

  • we drove into Arnprior
  • we listened to Ben Harper
  • we almost thru Devil Dog out the window
  • I was just starting to wake-up
  • Rob started to get a little annoyed by other drivers, but obeying the speed limit

Hour Two:

  • we drove into Deep River
  • we listened to Dave Matthews
  • we did not throw Devil Dog out of the window
  • I finished 3 crossword puzzles
  • Rob's annoyance towards other drivers started to grow a little stronger thus, driving a little over the speed limit

Hour Three:

  • we drove into NorthBay
  • we listened to Michelle Branch
  • Devil Dog was in the backseat doing squats (getting up - laying down, getting up - laying down...)
  • I finished 2 more crosswords
  • Rob wanted to kill everyone, gave the finger twice, and was driving WELL over the speed limit

Hour Four:

  • we drove into Cobalt (population: 2)
  • we listened to Kathleen Edwards
  • Devil Dog was still in the backseat, still doing squats ( her legs are so strong!)
  • My pen ran out of ink, no more crosswords. I was a little upset.
  • Rob was told to calm the F down

Hour Five:

  • We drove into New Liskeard
  • We listened to Third Eye Blind
  • Devil Dog doing her 1000th squat
  • At this point I am bored
  • Rob is now using cruise control

Hour Six:

  • We drove into Matheson
  • Who cares at this point!
  • Devil Dog still sqattin' - amazing!
  • I am counting houses that have a front door - but no front porch to access the door
  • Rob is being told to screw cruise control and GO

Hour Seven:

  • We drove into Iroquois Falls
  • We tried listening to the radio but can't get a signal. We are DEEP in the bush.
  • Devil Dog is sleeping peacefully
  • I am counting the houses that look more like a junk yard, literally, with cars jacked up on blocks and the whole nine yards.
  • Rob is being prudent as we start seeing cop cars (yes, they have some too!)

Hour Eight:

  • We drove into Cochrane
  • Still trying to find a signal...
  • Devil Dog amazingly resumes her squats. I'm sure she could be in the Guinness Book of Records!
  • I am counting the minutes until we get to Kap
  • Rob is too, so his speed goes up a little.

Hour Nine:

  • We drove into Moonbeam (yes, Moonbeam) 15 minutes from Kap
  • We find a signal, Pavarotti it is!
  • Devil Dog still going strong
  • I am amazed that some houses are actually being lived in, truly amazed...
  • Rob is speeding a little more

9 hours and 28 minutes later, we arrive in Kap! FINALLY!!!!

We were greated by Rob's parents' and we then headed into the dining room for a huge turkey feast!!!

Lesson learned: the bush is a TOTALLY different world

Well I'm off to bed, turkey and a 9-hour drive will do this to you.

Double D - out

2 comments:

SC said...

I love the play by play of trip! It was exactly how you said it would be - long...but entertaining from what I can tell! Devil Dog must be the queen of squats by now!!!

Anonymous said...

Is this squatting dog going to embarass me for a whole month?