Wednesday, February 28, 2007

MiniDV or DVD, which one shall it be?

With a little baby girl on the way in May (man, I'm rhyming like crazy today!), Rob and I came to the conclusion that a camcorder is a must!

I say this because my grandparents had an old school one, you know, the one with no sound, practically à la Charlie Chaplin. So I've been able to see some footage of me when I was growing up. I especially like the one of me at about 18 months, waddling around naked with clementines in my hands, or me playing the piano with my grandmother at the tender age of two. Those moments truly are priceless, so I want to be able to have those same memories of my children.

So the big dilemma is, do we get a DVD or MiniDV camcorder? We are looking at 2 brands, Canon and Sony. I've read some reviews on both but I was still, if not more, confused about choosing the right one. The biggest advantage with the DVD one is that is "tapes" directly on a DVD so you don't have to download anything onto your computer to then burn it on a DVD. But on the down side, you can't rewind, tape over, etc.

With the MiniDV you can do a lot more editing, rewinding, taping over, etc. but you need to download your footage onto your computer if you want to make a DVD. And to do that you have to buy some hardware, which costs about 100$. But the MiniDV is a little cheaper than the DVD so you don't really pay an extra 100$, more like 50$ maybe.

Do any of you have a DVD or MiniDV camcorder? Do you know where I can get some really good information?

Mommy-to-be - out

4 comments:

Loukia said...

We have a video camera (that we also got when we found out I was pregnant!) and it's a MiniDV, then Gus transfers the video from DV to DVD on the computer.

Dal said...

Thanks! So you would recommend a MiniDV? Are you guys happy with it? What Brand?

Loukia said...

Yes, we are very happy with it. It's a Sony. It's great, good luck with your purchase, it is a necessity when you have a baby! :)

skichik79 said...

We just bought a Mini DVD and it's great and you can erase and tape over you just have to buy the re-writable DVDs ... we bought 3 for 15$ at future shop they get specials all the time and our camcorder was very affordable we shopped since the summer for it ... It's great

The fun with it is it can play in a dvd player right away and you can transfer it to another dvd real easily ... ours even has the editing feature on it ... some don't ...